This speaker series is an introduction to the increasingly nuanced and complicated world of music rights, from a global lens.
While it’s increasingly common for artists and music entrepreneurs to build with an international strategy from the ground up, global music copyright frameworks and royalty flows remain stubbornly inaccessible and non-transparent, leading to many repeat pitfalls throughout history when it comes to market understanding and business growth.
This course will start off with grounding global music copyright complexities in modern music/tech case studies, demonstrating the pervasiveness of the problem and why music-industry professionals should care. Then, we’ll dive into key sessions focused on music rights in specific markets — including China, India, Latin America, and Africa — and discuss the future of the landscape when it comes to possible technological solutions.
Who is this class for?
People building international music careers and/or brands, with advanced beginner/intermediate knowledge of the music business.
Specifically, this class is designed for:
- Artists and their teams who are exploring international opportunities.
- Builders who are solving problems they’ve identified in music, but who may not be fully aware of all the global implications or ramifications of their product beyond their home market.
- Professionals (inside or outside of music) who work with music rights, and are interested in expanding their knowledge base on the topic from a global lens.
Structure & Format:
This course is part of our Speaker Series Academy, so the format will primarily be educational conversations. We will also include reading prerequisites, case studies, and context setting at the beginning of each session.
- Speaker Series: Hear from experts on challenges and solutions that they’ve encountered with music copyrights in their region or area of expertise, and what they wish people would know before entering into this territory.
- Required Reading: We’ll provide async resources that cover music copyright basics, as in preparation for more in-depth discussions through our live sessions.
- Case Studies: We’ll focus our music copyright discussions on real-world problems, and real-world solutions.
What will this Academy enable you to do next?
Plot your next release strategy and business deals in some of today’s fastest-growing international music markets
Build business acumen that will allow you to better navigate the global music landscape — including more insight into industry power dynamics, consumer behavior, etc. on a regional level
Bore people at parties :)
What you get with your purchase
- Full Zoom recordings and transcripts for seven case-study sessions:
- Latin America
- Technology solutions
- Supplementary readings curated by our course leads
- Unlimited access to course materials for up to 90 days after your purchase date